Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Dad - Goodbye


Sad news, my dad passed away just before 5pm Saturday afternoon. He has been aging quite fast the last year or so and had been ill for a bit more than a month. He eventually died of pneumonia but it was very peaceful and as far as we could see quite painless. We decided to not take him back to hospital when he came home after Easter so he spent the last while in the frail care unit at Elm Park Village, where they cared for him with such tenderness and love. It has been a difficult period for us second guessing our decisions and sitting around watching him deteriorating on a daily basis. I believe we are all relieved its over but he was such a big part of all our lives and will leave a very large gap.

I am particularly glad that he was around for so long and that he shared so much with Charles and I. He was much more than a grandfather to Charles and they had such a strong bond. He was always there for me and bullied me into buying my first property in 1983 - which I still own! I think he transfered his love of the property market onto me and got so much pleasure out of the fact that I had the courage to leave the safety of a big corporation and follow my heart. He could never get enough of my stories about my clients and deals and particularly loved to hear about the bodies corporate on which I serve as trustee.

Good Night Mr Calabash wherever you are!

1 comment:

MomAagain@40 said...

Sorry to hear, Caroline! :-( It must a big loss! Will be thinking of you...